A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.

USA: Ask The Mayor: Tax Exemptions; Electric Car Charging

Q: My elderly uncle is a veteran on a fixed income. His property tax bill is due soon, but he’s having a hard time since the bill went up and he’s living on a pension. Is there any way he can get some help paying his property taxes?

A: There are several property tax relief programs your uncle may be eligible for, and it would be best to apply for any applicable exemptions or credits right away since they would be applied to his property tax bill as soon as legally possible. Keep in mind that the second half of the real property tax bill is due on Feb. 20, 2013; there would be no relief on the current tax bill.

For the future, however, your uncle would benefit to inquire about the county tax relief programs. A new exemption was passed last year allowing totally disabled veterans or their surviving spouse to pay a real property tax of $150 per year. Hopefully your uncle is already receiving the Homeowner’s Exemption (HE), which reduces property taxes for residents who own and live in their primary residence and files a State of Hawaii Resident Individual income tax return.


Leave a Reply