I think your readers would be interested in learning about a Green School Makeover Competition Global Green USA recently launched in partnership with Pureology, and I wanted to make sure it was on your radar since the deadline for nominations is fast approaching.
One grand prize winner will get $65,000 to renovate their school – plus an additional $65,000 worth of technical assistance. Four runner-up schools will get $2,500 to use towards green school renovations.
This is a great opportunity for schools struggling with budget shortfalls—it can help them build a healthier learning environment for their students while also saving money on energy use for years to come—and I bet some of your readers would want to nominate their kids’ school (DEADLINE Sept 30, 2011).
The makeover can help:
- Provide More Money for Student Resources
· operating costs for energy and water can be reduced by as much as 40% – money can be reinvested in text books or computers
- Improve Student Performance
· Studies show test scores can improve as much as 25% when kids are in a healthy learning environment
- Protect Kids’ Health
· Good ventilation and the use of green building materials improves student and teacher health – this means fewer sick days and better attendance
School nominations can be made at: http://pureology.com/greenschools/entermyschool
Please take a look at some of the details at the links below and let me know if you have any questions. It would be great if you could help share this with your readers.
Learn more about the competition at: http://www.globalgreen.org/greenschools/
Learn why green schools are important for health and money savings at: http://globalgreen.org/greenurbanism/schools/
Get information on what you can do to help green your local school at: http://www.globalgreen.org/news/153